Looking to buy Apple stock?
If you’re in Canada, you can buy Apple stock from most trading platforms. The two best major self-trading platforms that let you buy and sell Apple stock is Wealthsimple Trade and Questrade.
Best stock trading platforms in Canada that let you buy Apple stock:
Considered to be one of the most admired smartphone, laptop, and tablet companies across the globe, Apple is a multinational technology firm that has taken the 21st century world by storm. The tech giant was founded back in 1976 as a business partnership between Steve Jobs, Ronald Wayne, and Steve Wozniak, and was formerly known as the Apple Computer Company. Currently headquartered in Cupertino in California, the corporation first started in Steve Job’s childhood home located in Los Altos, California.
Apple initially started off as a computer company and launched its very first computer popularly known as the ‘Apple I,’, designed and hand built by Steve Wozniak, back in 1976. The company grew from there, hiring multiple computer designers and developers, before going public in 1980, and garnering immense financial success almost immediately. With increased competition in the 90s, Apple began to innovate and launched a number of diverse products such as the iMac and the iPod in the late 90s and the early 2000s. Today, the company offers a host of technological products that are widely sought after worldwide and help Apple reign in billions each year.
Most popular Apple products today
1. iPhone (launched in 2007)
2. MacBook Pro (launched in 2006)
3. iMac (launched in 1998)
4. iPad (launched in 2010)
5. Apple Watch (launched in 2015)
6. Airpods (launched in 2016)
Balance sheet (all numbers in thousands)
|Mr. Elon R. Musk||Technoking of Tesla, CEO & Director|
|Mr. Zachary J. Kirkhorn||Master of Coin & CFO|
|Mr. Jerome Guillen||Pres of Tesla Heavy Trucking|
|Mr. Andrew D. Baglino||Sr. VP of Powertrain & Energy Engineering|
|Mr. Vaibhav Taneja||Corp. Controller & Chief Accounting Officer|
|Mr. Martin Viecha||Sr. Director for Investor Relations|
|Mr. Alan Prescott||VP of Legal|
|Mr. Dave Arnold||Sr. Director of Global Communications|
|Brian Scelfo||Sr. Director of Corp. Devel.|
|Mr. Jeffrey B. Straubel||Sr. Advisor|
|Cash, Cash Equivalents & Short Term Investments||19,384,000||6,268,000||3,685,618||3,367,914|
|Cash And Cash Equivalents||19,384,000||6,268,000||3,685,618||3,367,914|
|Work in Process||493,000||362,000||296,991||243,181|
|Total non-current assets||25,431,000||22,206,000||21,433,306||22,084,852|
|Land And Improvements||3,662,000||3,024,000||4,047,006||2,517,247|
|Machinery Furniture Equipment||12,440,000||10,209,000||8,906,145||8,763,382|
|Construction in Progress||1,694,000||764,000||875,070||2,785,435|
|Goodwill And Other Intangible Assets||520,000||537,000||350,651||421,739|
|Other Intangible Assets||313,000||339,000||282,492||361,502|
|Non Current Note Receivables||-||393,000||421,548||456,652|
|Other Non Current Assets||1,536,000||1,077,000||969,876||714,845|
|Total Liabilities Net Minority Interest||29,073,000||26,842,000||23,981,974||23,420,784|
|Payables And Accrued Expenses||8,962,000||5,916,000||4,874,784||3,833,251|
|Total Tax Payable||777,000||611,000||348,663||185,807|
|Current Accrued Expenses||2,134,000||1,534,000||1,121,670||1,257,194|
|Current Debt And Capital Lease Obligation||2,418,000||2,070,000||2,711,199||963,862|
|Line of Credit||-||-||181,827||-|
|Other Current Borrowings||1,758,000||1,399,000||2,040,158||896,549|
|Current Capital Lease Obligation||660,000||671,000||489,214||67,313|
|Current Deferred Liabilities||2,210,000||1,889,000||1,422,893||1,869,172|
|Current Deferred Revenue||2,210,000||1,889,000||1,422,893||1,869,172|
|Other Current Liabilities||241,000||520,000||875,460||1,008,385|
|Total Non Current Liabilities Net Minority Interest||14,825,000||16,175,000||13,989,838||15,746,114|
|Long Term Provisions||500,000||545,000||84,143||276,289|
|Long Term Debt And Capital Lease Obligation||10,861,000||12,627,000||11,116,072||11,152,086|
|Long Term Debt||8,513,000||10,402,000||8,410,490||9,418,389|
|Long Term Capital Lease Obligation||2,348,000||2,225,000||2,705,582||1,733,697|
|Non Current Deferred Liabilities||1,435,000||1,207,000||1,050,125||1,224,619|
|Non Current Deferred Taxes Liabilities||151,000||-||-||-|
|Non Current Deferred Revenue||1,284,000||1,207,000||990,873||1,177,799|
|Non Current Accrued Expenses||989,000||745,000||547,125||276,289|
|Preferred Securities Outside Stock Equity||604,000||643,000||555,964||397,734|
|Other Non Current Liabilities||436,000||408,000||636,409||2,695,386|
|Total Equity Gross Minority Interest||23,075,000||7,467,000||5,757,640||5,234,588|
|Additional Paid in Capital||27,260,000||12,737,000||10,249,120||9,178,024|
|Gains Losses Not Affecting Retained Earnings||363,000||-36,000||-8,218||33,348|
|Common Stock Equity||22,225,000||6,618,000||4,923,243||4,237,242|
|Capital Lease Obligations||3,008,000||2,896,000||3,194,796||1,801,010|
|Net Tangible Assets||21,705,000||6,081,000||4,572,592||3,815,503|
|Tangible Book Value||21,705,000||6,081,000||4,572,592||3,815,503|
|Ordinary Shares Number||960,000||905,310||863,013||843,985|
Apple Stock (NASDAQ: AAPL) History
Apple went public on 12th December in 1980 with a preliminary price of $22 per share. The company’s stock is traded on the NASDAQ Global Select Market and has the ticket symbol ‘AAPL.’ Since the company’s IPO in 1980, the Apple share has undergone 5 splits over the years. Stock splits allow a company’s stocks to become more accessible for new investors, by lowering the share price.
Apple Stock Splits
1. June 16, 1987: 2-for-1 split
2. June 21, 2000: 2-for-1 split
3. February 28, 2005: 2-for-1 split
4. June 9, 2014: 7-for-1 split
5. August 28, 2020: 4-for-1 split
Pros of purchasing Apple Stock
1. Apple is cash rich: It’s hard to ignore Apple’s liquidity and the value of being cash rich. As of March 2020, Apple has just under $193 billion in investments and hard cash.
2. 5G technology: Apple is usually at the forefront of technology and is always rolling out new features with each year’s new smartphone. While Apple wasn’t the first company to launch a commercial smartphone offering 5G services, the launch of iPhone 12 in 2020 garnered wide appraise for its 5G service across the world.
3. Service segment growth: The service segment report recently revealed Apple’s most recent quarterly revenue to be a staggering $13.34 billion, a figure that is up by 16% from the previous year.
4. New Products & Services: Apple has been adding a number of new products and services to its roster since 2015. Products such as AirPods, the Apple Watch, Apple Arcade, and Apple TV Plus are adding new revenue streams for the company.
Cons of purchasing Apple Stock
1. iPhones are losing their popularity: Once the most beloved smartphone worldwide, the iPhone has begun to see a decline in its popularity in recent years. With a number of other smartphone brands offering the same technology at a fraction of the price, the iPhone now only builds up to less than 50% of the company’s revenue.
2. Content competition: Even though Apple’s new streaming service, Apple TV Plus, is offering Apple users 1 free year of streaming and is priced much lower than Netflix’s monthly fee, the content offered on the service has not gained much popularity. With a host of other streaming services such as Disney+ and Prime Video available now, it is doubtful that Apple TV Plus will continue to see a large number of subscribers once the free period ends unless Apple spends billions on creating a plethora of content like the other streaming services available.
Current factors affecting Apple Stock
1. Apple is currently facing antitrust scrutiny both in Europe and the United States for its App Store. The tech giant was criticized for charging 30% commission from developers for its App Store and recently cut the rate to 15% for small developers, leading to a downward trend in the AAPL stock.
2. Apple was charged on April 30th, 2021, by the European Union’s antitrust commission for a complaint by Spotify Technology claiming that Apple misuses its dominant position in the App store by raising prices of competitor music applications. This charge led to a 1.5% fall for the Apple stock.
3. Apple is currently involved in a legal battle with Epic Games, a company that has accused Apple of employing anticompetitive methods in the App store.
FAQ about Apple Stock
Where is the Apple headquarters?
One Apple Park Way
Cupertino, CA 95014
Does Apple stock pay dividends?
Yes, Apple pays $0.88 per share with a dividend yield of 0.69%.
Apple pays an annual dividend of $0.88 per share, with a dividend yield of 0.69%. The dividend yield has increased for the last 8 years, increasing by around 9.5% per year. On a whole, the company pays out 26.83% of its total earnings through dividends to their investors.
Have Apple ever split their shares?
Yes, Apple have split their shares on:
Aug. 31, 2020
June 9, 2014
Feb. 28, 2005
June 21, 2000
June 16, 1987
When does the fiscal year end for Apple?
The fiscal year for Apple is the last Saturday of September.
How to buy Apple stock in Canada
You can buy Apple shares by contacting your broker. Or you can use self-trading platforms to buy and sell Apple stock on your own.