Expedia is one of the most popular websites that Canadians use to book flights, hotels and car rentals for their upcoming trips.
If you are a frequent flyer and a TD travel or rewards credit card holder, you can save big with Expedia for TD – which is TD’s in-house travel platform that is operated by Expedia and is exclusively available for customers who want to quickly earn or redeem TD points for travel purchases.
TD points cannot be converted to another reward/loyalty program’s currency.
NOTE: It used to be allowed to convert them to Aeroplan Miles, but not anymore.
How do you earn TD Reward Points?
You can earn TD Reward points by using any of the 4 rewards credit cards by TD – TD first class travel visa infinite card, TD platinum travel visa card, TD rewards Visa card, and TD business travel visa card.
Each of these credit cards come with a welcome bonus and it’s own reward structure that defines how many TD points you will receive for a dollar. Let’s quickly take a look at all of these credit cards:
TD First Class Travel Visa Infinite Card
- Welcome bonus- New card holders can earn up to 90,000 TD Points ( a travel value of $450) as follows: unlock 20,000 TD points right after your first purchase. Spend $1000 within the first three months of account opening to earn 60,000 TD points. Get the remaining 10,000 TD points after adding an authorized user to your account by December 1, 2019
- Earn 3 TD points for every $1 you spend on purchases made through your credit card
- Earn 9 TD points per $1 on travel purchases made through Expedia for TD
- Enjoy extensive travel benefits such as travel medical insurance, trip cancellation/trip interruption insurance, common carrier travel accident insurance, emergency travel assistance services, delayed and lost package insurance, and priority pass membership discount
TD Rewards Visa card
- Welcome bonus- New card holders can earn 2X TD rewards points on all purchases made within the first 3 months from account opening up to a total of 10,000 TD reward points
- Earn 2 TD rewards points for every $1 spent on groceries restaurant and fast food purchases and recurring bill payments charged through your card
- Earn 3 TD rewards points for every $1 spent on travel purchases made through ExpediaforTD.com
- Earn 1TD rewards point for every $1 spent on all the other purchases
- Redeem your TD rewards points on whatever you want including gift cards, merchandise and travel
- Comes with travel benefits such as priority pass membership discount and a 10% discount when renting a car at Avis and Budget locations
TD Platinum Travel Visa Card
- Welcome bonus- Earn up to 70,000 TD rewards point (a travel value of $350)
- Earn 3TD rewards points for every $1 you spend in grocery purchases and recurring bill payments
- Earn 5 TD rewards points for every $1 you spend when booking travel online through Expedia for TD.com
- Earn 2 TD rewards points for every $1 you spend on all other purchases
- Enjoy a suite of extensive insurance coverage that includes flight/trip delay insurance, delayed and lost baggage insurance, common carrier travel accident insurance, emergency travel assistance services, and priority pass membership discount
TD Business Travel Visa Card
- Welcome bonus – Earn 30,000 TD rewards points right after making your first purchase
- Earn 9 TD rewards points when booking travel through Expedia for TD.com
- Earn 6 TD rewards points when you book travel through Expedia for TD by calling 1-877-222-6492
- Earn 3 TD rewards points for every $1 spent on business purchases made through your card
- The comprehensive insurance package that comes with this credit card includes policies such as travel medical insurance, flight/trip delay insurance, common carrier travel accident insurance, emergency travel assistance services, and delayed and lost baggage insurance
Redeeming TD reward points
TD reward points can be redeemed for travel purchases, online purchases, merchandise, gift cards, cash statement credit, and also for education costs.
The value of a TD rewards point fluctuates based on what you choose to redeem them for.
- Booking travel through Expedia for TD- 0.5 CPP (Cents per Point)
- Travel purchases through Book Any Way- 0.4 CPP
- Education expenses-0.4 CPP
- Online shopping-0.3 CPP
- Gift cards-0.25 CPP
- Redeeming a statement credit-0.2 5 CPP
- Merchandise-0.23 CPP
As you can see from above, while there are multiple ways to redeem your TD rewards points, You get the best value when using it to book travel through Expedia for TD.
Redeeming through Expedia for TD is easy. Just sign into your TD Rewards account and make your booking through the website. On the checkout page, you can use your points to pay for the entire purchase or a portion of the purchase. If you don’t have enough points, you can pay the difference using your TD rewards credit card and earn points for doing so. Keep in mind that if you do want to use your points, you can only do it in increments of 200, which is equal to $1 in value.
Is Expedia for TD different than Expedia.ca?
Expedia for TD is Expedia’s collaboration with TD where TD Bank’s customers can quickly earn and redeem their reward points. But when it comes to products, anything that’s available on Expedia.ca should be available in ExpediaforTD.com. You can use your points to cover expenses pertaining to flights, car rentals, hotels, cruises, train, and all inclusive vacations.
Know that you can choose any travel provider to book your travel purchase, but doing it through Expedia for TD will give you a higher value per dollar. Booking through Expedia for TD will give you 0.5 cents per point while using any other travel providers will give you 0.4 cents per point– that’s a 20% reduction in value.
Expedia for TD’s price guarantee policy
This feature is exclusively available to Travel Rewards TD credit card holders. If you can find a flight plus hotel package for a better deal within 24 hours of booking, or a cheaper hotel rate up to 48 hours before check-in, Expedia will refund you back the difference. Expedia‘s price guarantee only applies to flight plus hotel and hotel bookings made through Expedia for TD.com or by phone via Expedia for TD’s call center.
How to maximize your Expedia by TD rewards
Redeem your points for travel
You can do so through Expedia for TD or through Book Any Way. You will earn points as long as you use your TD credit card to cover the travel cost. Take note that booking travel through Expedia for TD will give you 0.5 cents per point, while using other travel providers to book your travel will give you point 0.4 cents per dollar. The difference is only slight but it’s there. You will also only earn 3X TD reward points when purchasing travel through Book Any Way, instead of 9X or 6X when purchasing travel through Expedia for TD.
Redeem your points for education expenses
If you are a student who only travels once or twice a year, you can use your TD points for a more practical purpose such as to tackle your student loan debt or to pay your tuition. At 0.4 cents a point, 62,500 points will reward you with a $250 credit that you can put towards tuition. TD’s HigherEdPoints.com program has over 100 participating institutions.
Pick the right credit card
The more points you have, the more you can redeem. In the beginning of this article, we showed you 4 credit cards that you can use to earn TD Reward points. Each of them have variations in welcome bonus and reward points it offers per dollar. If you want to quickly get your hands on a large amount of TD Reward points then TD First Class Travel Visa Infinite Card will suit you the best because it offers 90,000 TD Points. But, premium cards like that can be expensive and have high eligibility requirements. So choose a card that suits your current spending patterns, because at the end of the day, the more you use your card, the more TD Reward Points you will earn.
If you have multiple travel credit cards, you can combine them to pay for the same booking while earnings rewards on loyalty programs. For example, you can combine TD First Class Visa Infinite with another card such as Aeroplan or WestJet Rewards, it will give you a 4.5% earnings on your TD Rewards credit card along with points to your other loyalty card.
If the majority of your travel purchases is done via Expedia and if you use your credit card mostly to pay the expense of those purchases, then getting a TD Rewards and Travel Credit Card and making your travel reservations through Expedia for TD is a no-brainer. There are a plethora of travel deals available on Expedia and there are thousands of points waiting to be claimed.